Saturday, March 1, 2008

Rerouting the fuel plumbing, new O-rings

Well, after the glow plug fiasco I really needed to make some headway. I thought the best place to start would be replumbing the injection pump.

I won't go into the details of the plumbing again, it's all described here. Essentially, I need to change the fuel flow so that the lift pump is PULLING fuel through the filter, instead of PUSHING it.

So, I took off all the clear lines and VERY CAREFULLY cut off the clear plastic to save the fittings. You want to reuse the fittings, but with good quality fuel line (SAE30r7) clamped on. Good clamps are important too... you want the "fuel injection" ones that wrap right around the hose, not the common band clamps.

Anyway, here's how the fuel line should look, clamped on the fitting:



Notice how the clamp and hose are a moved a bit back from the fitting? That's because the white tab you see has to be able to slide back & forth... it's what clips the fitting to the pump. In the picture, it's pushed it to unclip it. Once in place, that white tab has to be pulled back, and it needs a little room. You'll notice I also trimmed the hose a bit to make sure the white tab can slide by.

Another important tip: This is when you want to change all the rubber 0-rings for the fuel lines. I got the whole set of viton o-rings from fryerpower.com, and also got a length of viton injector return line. By changing these, you're a LOT less likely to have air leaks. Plus, it just makes sense to do this while the intake manifold is off and you've got everything torn apart.
Here's how Jim ships the O-rings... I buy a lot of stuff online, it's always a treat to receive something packaged with care:

I didn't use them all right away, but I'll have them on hand.

Anyway, here's what the fuel plumbing looks like right now:

Confused? Don't be, it's all described here. I still have a couple lines to run, but I can't put them in until the diesel fuel filter housing is tapped & reinstalled.

About that. The fuel filter housing needs to be modified, because as-is, the fuel is PUSHED through. Under vacuum, the fittings would be likely to cause air leaks. For that reason, I need to thread the two left ports to 3/8" NPT and 1/4" NPT to take barbed fittings. Here's a picture of Ray Ackley's car done like that. The port on the far right is filled with JB Weld, to prevent "return" fuel from being sent into the diesel filter.

Anyway, I didn't realize how hard it would be to find those NPT taps. No hardware store carries them, so I'm going to an industrial supply place tomorrow. I did get the "return" port JB Welded:

And to finish the night off, I installed the new Viton injector return lines. A bit awkward, but sure looks better than the old white ones you can see in the back.

So, by the end of Saturday night, this is how the car sat:


I am committed now.

No comments: