Sunday, February 3, 2008

Welding the tank

I took my cardboard mockup out to the garage this weekend, and started cutting and welding steel.

I had never used a metal brake or pneumatic shears, but got a feel for them pretty quickly. I had resigned to the fact that I'd lose at least one digit this weekend, but it never happened... now I regret blowing $8 on a first aid kit. What a wuss.

I'm getting better with the welder too. I'd tack the panels together on the inside, and then run a bead along the outside lip. For the most part, they came out pretty clean. By the end I was laying some presentable welds.






Another final test fit befor I finish up:


I still have to weld in the baffles, the top and the heated fuel pickup on the bottom. I'll plug away at it this week.

There's quite a debate going on about steel tanks and polymerization. I won't be heating the whole tank, so that should help reduce the risk of polymerization. Just the same, I'm tempted to coat the inside, but others are recommending leaving it bare.

2 comments:

vegwerks said...

Looks great! What thickness/type of steel are you using? What kind of welder do you have?

jake said...

it's 18ga steel, which is about as thick as I can go while still being able to work with it on the bender.

I'm using a Lincoln 140C MIG welder