Monday, February 25, 2008

more tank work

Ok, the tank is nearly done. Man, it's been a LOT of work. Who'da thunk making a custom tank might not be an ideal starter project for a novice welder. Good thing I don't take advice, or I'd never get anything done!

The top is now welded on, but I also cut an access hatch and cover... just in case I ever need to open it up and see what's going on inside. I cut the bolt holes for the tank and top at the same time, so they all line up nicely. I then welded the shoulder nuts onto the top panel before welding it onto the tank.


I used Permatex Blue along the perimeter of the opening, and around the bolt holes:


Then I bolted the cover on:


On the top left hand corner, you can make out the fuel pickup & return fittings. It bolted up the same way as the top cover. The pickup sits at the bottom of the tank, in a steel "cup" that Ill show later.

I have no closeups of how the flange was made, because frankly, it would be embarrassing. It works, and it's out of sight. 'Nuff said.


I'm going to let the Permatex cure, then Wednesday night I'll pressure test the tank to find any leaks. Once they're welded up, I just have to weld up a couple mounting tabs and a filler neck, then I can paint it.

No comments: