Sunday, January 20, 2008

fuel & coolant lines... mapping out a route

When you get a car you really like, there's nothing nicer to do than getting out the screwdrivers and pullers, and then tearing the interior apart. That's what I did today.

I really don't want to run my lines UNDER the car. It's low to the ground, and all too easy to fetch up on curbs, cops an bicycle couriers. I don't want to leave a trail when I'm making a getaway.

So, I thought I'd do some exploratory surgery to see if the lines could be run inside the car. The good news is there is a lot of room, and it really looks like I'll be able to do it inconspicuously. Downside is that unlike the Jetta, there aren't any pre-existing grommets in the firewall I can just pop out and use. That means some cutting. No big deal... if I ran the lines underneath the car, I'd have to cut into the trunk anyway.

One of the big pluses is the carpet... in many areas, it has 3+ inches of foam padding, which can be trimmed away to make room for the lines. The only place that looks like it will be tight is around the pillar between the front & rear doors. Even then, it looks like I can squeeze around.

Here are some pics of the driver's side. If I used that side, I think I'd come through right around the steering shaft.






Now, over on the passenger side there's even more room, and the more I look at it, the more I think I'll run them over there. There are no pedals, and the lines would be coming into the engine compartment with more room.




I could fold the exhaust heat shield *just enough* to make room for the lines, then run them up and behind the engine. Lots more room than the other side, and as long as they are protected from exhaust heat, they should be fine there. Sure beats over on the driver's side, where's you'd almost have to pull the intake manifold to get at them.

In the back of the car, the lines can easily run along the inside rocker panel, then under the seat bottom, then up behind the seat back and into the trunk. There is a 3-4" square foam plug I can remove to run the lines into the trunk:

I managed to get the car *mostly* put back together before calling it a night. I left many of the plastic trim pieces and covers off, I figure the more times I take them on & off, the more likely I am to break the clips or get rattles later on.

I've also been engaged in an ongoing email trail with Ed Beggs, Craig Reece and Ray Ackley as we try to land on the best method to do the fuel plumbing. Turns out I might not need that Mallory 140 fuel pump after all. Rays been using his stock lift pump, as have others who've converted these cars.

In other news, Chance got an early-morning run to the vet this AM. He's got a slipped ("popped"?) disc in his back. He's been prescribed painkillers and bed rest, neither of which he finds objectionable.

No comments: